Exploring the Opportunities Available For Work at Home Freelancers
Are you tired of a boring 9 – 5 job, or joblessness for that matter and you have a basic high school education? Well, I have good news for you. I have been there, done that and now I am embarking on a journey to share with you what I have learned along the way, the tips and tricks, mistakes to avoid; so, fasten your safety belt and let’s get rolling on this journey.
So where do I begin?
When I talk of having a basic high school education, it’s because that’s exactly what you need to start earning some income on the internet. The average high school leaver today has some basic computer skills, knows English and thankfully, the internet is becoming more reliable and faster. Hence there is no excuse for anyone to remain broke when they can earn a few bucks $$ with very basic skills like the ability to use Microsoft excel.
There are a couple of online marketplaces where you can find gigs that are relevant to your skills. They include the following among many others that we will talk about along the way, but you can use these ones to get started.
One important highlight I would like you to note is that Elance recently acquired Odesk, and the two are in the process of merging completely to become UpWork.
// Update 19/03/2017 Odesk and Elance merged in Early 2016 to become Upwork
When you are starting off, you will need to create a profile, complete it to ensure that It looks 100% complete on the site, write a catchy introduction; remember you like a salesperson selling yourself to a potential employer, and upload a few samples/portfolios of what you have to offer potential clients.
Advantages of working online as a freelancer
- The flexibility and ability to work your own hours, get paid for work done, and do as much as you can
- The opportunity to become a digital nomad; work from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection
- Be independent, earn as much as you desire without supervision, corruption or anyone undercutting you
- No discrimination; your skills and reputation call the shots for you
- Low overheads
- Reduce carbon footprint; we all know about global warming, don’t we?
- No daily commute and spending numerous hours in traffic, and the weather does not affect your work
- You spend more time with the family
- You can enhance you skills on the job and command more money for future work
- No office dress code, spend your money on the clothes you like, not what your boss likes
- Choose the kind of work you want to do
- A good computer that at least 4GB ram would be ideal for a starter
- Internet connection, broadband is the best
- A conducive working environment
- A spirit to work hard
How to Withdraw Funds
There are various methods that you can use to withdraw funds as outlined below.
- PayPal – PayPal is a purely virtual account and unless you have a way to withdraw the money in Kshs, then you can only use the funds earned virtually. It is by far the easiest to use, but the good news is that you can actually link your Equity Bank account to your PayPal and be able to withdraw funds in Kenya shillings.
- Payoneer debit card – This is another great option; you receive virtual funds in USD, but since it is a debit card you can withdraw your funds in any MasterCard ATM across the country and internationally; I use it most of the time
- Skrill – Moneybookers
- Swift funds transfer – withdraw funds directly to your bank account, you might be limited as to how many times you can do it a month, but this is by far the best option for Kenyans
Start by going to Elance and creating a profile, choose a category, get your profile verified and start bidding on relevant projects. It is important to note that the journey will not be easy, but it is well worth it for the long term. Welcome on board to the digital nomads lifestyle.
About the Author
A die-hard Upworker | Jake's Mom | Virtual Assistant | WordPress freak | Crafter | Favourite Auntie